Friday, March 19, 2010

Demonstration speech self-evaluation


In my Life Science 100 class I gave a speech on how to properly apply camouflage face paint. This topic worked very well for me because I am very interested in the art of stealth and the new improvements in this field of study. Because I knew a lot about this topic I was able to explain some in depth reasoning, as to why you follow certain steps. After reviewing a video of my speech, I was able to notice that my biggest strength ended up being one of my weaknesses.
I was able to recall information as to what makes camouflage work, but spent too much time in depth. The good news is that I was able to break down the techniques into 3 easy steps; Base, cross, and blend. These three steps were able to turn a whole complex art form into something basic and simple. My physical presentation has never been an issue for any speeches I have done. When looking at a video of my speech I was able to see that I was moving around a lot, and showing lots of enthusiasm towards my demonstration. However, through I spoke at a good volume, there were times that I turned around and kept talking; making it seem as though I was mumbling. I think the best part of the speech was the fact that I brought in face paint and demonstrated, not only on myself, but on a brave volunteer as well. The second we applied that base layer and looked up with green faces, every single person in the room was drawn in; I mean how often to people show up to class with a green face?
If I had a chance to redo my speech I would look into shortening the length of it and not getting to in depth. Also I need to learn to stop talking when I am not facing the audience. Overall I feel the speech went well (Minus the time limit) , and think that everyone enjoyed watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment